Skip To Main Content


NEW State requirement

This bill would make legislative findings to that effect. (2) Existing law establishes a system of public elementary and secondary education in this state. Under this system, local educational agencies throughout the state provide instruction and other services to pupils in kindergarten and grades 1 to 12, inclusive. Pupils who seek to continue their education in postsecondary educational institutions, and who wish to apply for financial aid, are generally required to apply for this aid through certain standardized forms, which, for most pupils, include the Free Application for Federal Student Aid and, for certain pupils, include the California Dream Act application. This bill would require a school district, county office of education, or charter school to ensure that a grade 12 pupil who has not opted out, as specified, completes and submits a Free Application for Federal Student Aid or, if the pupil is exempt from paying nonresident tuition under existing law, completes and submits a form for purposes of the California Dream Act. The bill would require the Student Aid Commission, on or before July 1, 2022, to adopt regulations that include model opt-out forms and acceptable use policies for the purpose of providing guidance with applicable state laws. The bill would require the school district, county office of education, or charter school to exempt a pupil or the pupil’s parent or legal guardian from completing a form if the local educational agency determines the pupil is unable to complete the form, and would prohibit a pupil’s ability to graduate from being affected by a pupil’s failure to fill out a form. By imposing additional duties on local educational agencies, the bill would impose a state-mandated local program. 

Do I need to complete the FAFSA to graduate?

Yes, all RUSD students must complete the FAFSA to receive their diploma.

Will OHS help me fill out the FAFSA?

Yes! We will help you complete the entire form. We will also host informational meetings for parents and guardians. 

What is required to fill out the FAFSA?

The FAFSA questions ask for information about you (your name, date of birth, address, etc.) and about your financial situation. Depending on your circumstances (for instance, whether you’re a U.S. citizen or what tax form you used), you might need the following information or documents as you fill out the FAFSA application:

  • Your Social Security number (it’s important that you enter it correctly on the FAFSA form!)

  • Your parents’ Social Security numbers if you are a dependent student

  • Your driver’s license number if you have one

  • Your Alien Registration number if you are not a U.S. citizen

  • Federal tax information, tax documents, or tax returns, including IRS W-2 information, for you (and your spouse, if you are married), and for your parents if you are a dependent student:

    • IRS Form 1040
    • Foreign tax return or IRS Form 1040-NR
    • Tax return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or Palau
  • Records of your untaxed income, such as child support received, interest income, and veterans noneducation benefits, for you, and for your parents if you are a dependent student

  • Information on cash; savings and checking account balances; investments, including stocks and bonds and real estate (but not including the home in which you live); and business and farm assets for you and for your parents if you are a dependent student