Attendance and Tardy Policy for OHS Students
Please read carefully----
Please read carefully----
Attendance, Tardy, and Credit Earning Policy for OHS
Orangewood High School staff feels strongly about encouraging our students to make good choices and establishing productive habits. Students that demonstrate this responsible behavior will be rewarded with awards and incentives. However, when tardy and attendance policies are not adhered to or students do not earn enough credits, students should expect to receive the appropriate consequences. Listed below are the policies and consequences for failure to follow policy.
Absences: All absences must be cleared within two days or they will be recorded as truancies. Parents must call or send a note to clear absences. Please call 307-5380, ext. 38103 day or night. After school hours you can leave your name, student name, date of absence and reason for absence on the school answering machine.
- Regular attendance is expected. Students who have poor attendance will not earn productive credit in classes and could be referred to the Intervention class.
- The OHS auto-caller will notify parents when students miss any class period on any day.
- The OHS Attendance Clerk will notify parents when full-day absences are not excused.
- Students with poor attendance may be put on an attendance contract.
· A warning letter will be sent home when a student’s absences are becoming excessive. The letter will warn the parent/guardian that they may be referred to the District Attorney’s office and may have to attend a School Attendance Review Board meeting if student attendance does not improve.
- More than 18 period absences in a block, excused or unexcused, or violation of the attendance contract may result in automatic enrollment into Intervention classes the following block.
- The intervention class is structured to help the student become more responsible and get back on the right track. If student is successful in the intervention class they will get a regular morning schedule back the following block. If student is not successful after two blocks in the Intervention class, student will be referred to SARB Commmittee or Adult Education if over 18.
- Perfect Attendance (no absences or tardies in a block) will be rewarded with a Perfect Attendance Awards and Prizes.
- All students must get a late slip from the office if they are late to any class.
- The late slip should be taken to the teacher.
- Student will forfeit productive hours and lose credit.
- Parent may be notified by phone or letter, or both, if student is chronically tardy.
- Excessive tardies can also result in student being put on an attendance contract.
- Violation of the attendance contract will result in assignment to Intervention or loss of 1st period class.
Under achievement of credits (3 or less earned per block):
First block: A deficiency letter will be sent home by the advisor.
Second block: Advisor will give a referral to the counselor and counselor will call parent/guardian for a conference.
Third block: Advisor will give referral to the counselor and counselor will warn student that they will begin PM Intervention classes.
Please note……Students will not be allowed to participate in extracurricular activities or athletics if attendance, productivity, or behavior is poor or if assigned to after-school campus service/detention.